21 November, 2011


Hi,

I'm a new mum with an eight month old baby girl who has a passion for gardening. I'm writing this blog for many reasons;

1) Share my experiences in Motherhood with like-minded individuals who can have a laugh at silly things.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
2) Exchange tips, ideas and experiences with gardening;
3) do a screen dump of all the thoughts spinning around in my head;
4) to stay sane.

I've been intending on writing this for some time but you know - not enough time or inspiration.

Before my daughter was born I thought I was getting to know my stuff in life. Afterwards, I have come to the realization that I had a narrow view of the world. Now, every day is bumbling experience of getting to know myself, my daughter and this new found world.

One thing I have learnt is just when I'm starting to get the hang of this Mother thing I know that it will change again!!!

I have traded in coffee and cigarettes for leaking boobs and pooy nappies. ALL which should come with a health warning. Not just the latter. This transition has also preceded a wobbly belly and a crinkle cut but which again, should come with a mental health warning.

However, since my daughter was born even though it has felt like an eon of pyjama wearing, house arrest and constant crying. Also, desperation for sleep, food and the opportunity for shower became my daily objectives. Now, little stolen moments of happiness and smiles have replaced it all.

My question is "why aren't you told about these things from the beginning." women make little comments or say "It's the hardest job in the world" but!! It’s as if there is a women's club and if you haven't had a baby their secrets aren't divulged. No one talks of their negative experiences, just the positive ones. I'm going to be completely unabashed and tell it how it is.

This is where gardening is something universal we can all share, empathize with and teach. Being a Mother is a learned behaviour although some are good at it, others struggle. Gardening is something that can be taught and if you follow the instructions, you will achieve success. It is although like mothering. There is a lot of trial and error involved but if you persistent you will reap the benefits of what you have nurtured.

Before my daughter was born I thought I had found my ‘happy place’ and it was in my garden. Now, all I need is the glint of a smile in my baby girl’s eye or a joyful squeal.

Instead of getting down and dirty in the garden to feel satisfied I now find myself teaching someone to walk, talk and how to be good to themselves and kind to others. Albeit, gardening is something I also can teach her too. We inspect the vegetables on a daily basis and have picked snow peas, played with paper flowers and dug a new patch.

These are things that don’t have any age boundaries. More importantly, every day she and I learn more about the preciousness of our environment and how to treat it with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment